[olug] [OT] My friend has a broken hard drive

Kevin sharpestmarble at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 03:28:29 UTC 2012

I just used SpinRite[1] and was pretty happy with it. Roughly same
situation; system failed, couldn't get a disk image due to HD errors.
This fixed it so that I could get a disk image. As a side benefit, the
section of the drive that consistently failed at filesystem access now
works properly.

[1] http://www.spinrite.info $89, download a 170k file. Run the .exe
and it will create a bootable floppy/USB/CD with its own FreeDOS
system that you then boot into and run for however long it takes.