[olug] [OT] Verizon data plans...

Craig Wolf wolfout101 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 14:27:37 UTC 2012

Ben, I agree with you to a point.  The "leadership team" here has decided,
and it is, cheaper to pay someone a $60 reimbursement vs the $90/month for
the phone plan and data.  The business, also, does not have to support
"phone issues" like broken screens, phone battery issues, etc. thus saving
company personnel time.  So, from a business perspective, it makes sense.

While the phone may be free, it is usually the complaint of the users that
it is last year's technology or older if the model we standardize on lasts
more than 1 year in the pipeline and they are not happy about that.  Users
will complain about having to carry 2 devices versus one.  This gives them
the flexibility to get their Droid/iPhone/Crackberry/Etc. that they feel
most comfortable with and where they feel they can be most productive.

>From a tech. perspective, it is MORE frustrating.  Now I have to figure out
how to support 40 types of phones and OS's versus 2 or 3 and all the weird
issues/quirks that each has.  I also have to tell someone, this issue is
not my problem, got talk to "your cellular carrier" because my stuff is
setup right.  That causes even more frustration on both sides (tech and
user), it is not very customer focused, and let's face it, in tech we need
to be more customer focused, not less.

I took the stipend at my company.  I also understand that if I have
anything important on it and I lose it: a. it can be deleted so on one gets
my personal info. B. My stuff will be gone.  You make sure you back your
stuff up every night so that, in the unfortunate situation that your phone
gets feet, you only lose today's data.  You have to be responsible to
yourself in this arena.

I like the fact that I was able, with my new job, to get down from 5
devices and my bat belt to 1 device to cover all the needs I have.  I
understand the cons of doing this and accept that responsibility.

Craig Wolf
Wolf Computing Services
Omaha, NE 68136
(402)990-3010