[olug] PRTG mib editing

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Tue Mar 6 16:02:00 UTC 2012

> Anyone use PRTG for SNMP monitoring?  We sent them a techsupp email (to Germany) regarding merging mibs together.  Long story short:  The mib files are just text files, readable with notepad.  Some of the files combine several sensors together into a template, but others don't.  PRTG support says you cannot combine the information to modify the templates.  Odd, considering it looks like a cut/paste job.  We obviously could just wing it, but I thought I would ping you guys first to see if anyone has done it before.

I did a lot with SNMP about 5 years ago.  My recollection is that each
MIB file contains an entire hierarchy of the OID tree.  You can't simply
merge multiple MIB files unless the result comprises the entire hierarchy
that includes both of your merged files.

I could be wrong, though.  It's been a few years, and I didn't take the
time to refresh my memory before responding.

--
Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth    obiwan at jedi.com    PrairieRimImages.com