[olug] FTP question

Joseph Gulizia joseph.gulizia at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 14:17:52 UTC 2012

I have a person sending a large video file using FTP from Eastern Europe to
the Midwest.  It takes him anywhere from 2 hours 15 minutes for an MPEG-4
one hour long video to 4 hours 22 minutes for an hour long MP2 video.

Can streaming the file be a better solution (given the fact that the stream
could be lost...and have to be re-sent) OR is there a way to get the file
quicker....what could tracing the route do as far as finding the lagging
points...what program would you recommend?

I've looked at VLC and that is real-time for the streaming.

Looking for something quicker if possible

Regards,
Joe