[olug] Distros with httpd 2.4 PHP 5.4 packages

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed Jun 6 19:39:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM, T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not used to Debian-based servers. I've got a VM running with Debian Sid
> and I've added the experimental repository to sources.list. How do I
> upgrade to apache 2.4?

You can force a repository at install time.  You'd use something like this:

  sudo aptitude install httpd2/experimental

Note, I believe Apache 2.4 breaks ABI compatibility with 2.2, so
external modules may need to be rebuild/recompiled to work with it.
You can make that easier by using aptitude to pull down everything
needed to rebuild/recompile the package.  After installing the Apache
2.4 package, try installing the module (php, etc) you want.  If it
complains about dependencies, or has errors after installation, you'll
probably have to do a bit of rebuilding.

For example, if I needed to rebuild mod_foo, with Debian package name
of libapache-mod-foo against apache 2.4, I'd start with:

  sudo aptitude build-depends libapache-mod-foo
  sudo apt-get --compile source libapache-mod-foo
  sudo dpkg -i libapache-mod-foo*.deb

There's a pretty decent chance that the package will "just work" from that.

Depending on exactly what you're doing, how involved it is, etc, there
might be a little trial and error before everything sorts out.  If you
run into issues, feel free to say something.  I'm not an expert, but
I've been using Debian for quite a while, so I've muddled my way
through a lot of this before.

--
Christopher