[olug] Parallels pros and cons vs. VMPlayer or VirtualBox

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Jun 1 15:52:04 UTC 2012

I have a coupon to purchase "Parallels Workstation 6" for $15.00.

I already use VMWare Player for my needs, though VMWare Workstation
has more bells and whisles but I can't justify it's cost.  VirtualBox
has similar features to these two.

I dual boot Win7 and Ubuntu, and I confirmed with their licensing
department that I can buy a single license and install Parallels in
both environments to have the cross-OS features.

At $15 it's not too bad to purchase just to experiment with, but is
there any compelling reason to use it over Player or VirtualBox?

A co-worker runs OSX on his Apple laptop, but has to use a lot of MS
tools (Outlook, Excel, Word, etc) that don't behave in the native OSX
environment.  Is the Parallels seamless environment that much better
than VMWare Workstation or VirtualBox offerings?

Thanks,
Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"