[olug] USB 3.0 proposal - allow for 100 WATT power over USB!

Kevin D. Snodgrass kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 21:43:34 UTC 2012

Is USB3.0 connectors the same as USB1 and USB2?  I'm not confortable moving that much electricity across the feeble little pins on a USB1/2 header nor the wire traces on a typical motherboard.  The cable can be made more robust at least, current USB cabling would get a bit warm.

>And put two together and you might be able to arc weld. :)

Um, no.... Most arc welders potentially use north of 1000W.  Example, a Hobart 500550 wire feed MIG unit can use 85A at 17.5VDC, which is 1487.5W.

Kevin D. Snodgrass