[olug] Help w/ my server

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Tue Jul 24 04:09:31 UTC 2012

On 7/23/2012 10:31 PM, Christopher Cashell wrote:
> I had challenges with this when I had the business cable modem and its
> the annoying upload rate. The solution, though not necessarily for the
> faint of heart (unless you have previous experience), is QoS (the 'tc'
> command from the iproute2 tools). With QoS, you can prioritize certain
> traffic (specifically, interactive traffic (ssh/rdp/etc), VoIP, and
> upstream ACKs.

Maybe you're the guy to help clear something up for me.  I've
experimented with tc and I think I can more or less get it to work --
but -- I seem to have control over upstream traffic only.  As far as I
can tell, my ISP is deciding which traffic to send down the pipe to me,
and I have no QoS control over that.  Does that sound about right?

I think of QoS as the fine art of deciding whether to drop/delay
packets, but if you're receiving exactly as many packets as your pipe
can carry, there's no QoS-ing to do, right?

The other QoS oddity I encounter is, I find that QoS works best with a
predictable number of connections competing for bandwidth; when the
number of connections fluctuates heavily, QoS has trouble keeping up
with the fluctuations.  Does that sound like QoS, or does that sound
like a flawed attempt at QoS?