[olug] Help w/ my server

Kevin sharpestmarble at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 21:51:56 UTC 2012

The Way Things Should Be: DNS would have another record, something
like PORT, which has a number and a text description. When an end user
goes to a site, the system does a lookup for that service along with
its lookup for the IP. Something like IP/port. You would get the
IP(127.0.0.1 back with the port that you should use(8080), and if the
port lookup fails, then you would use the service default(80). This
way you could get around port blocks. But I don't believe it works
this way; DNS was set up(IIRC) when firewalls were "allow and
selectively block" rather than the current "block and selectively
allow". This would also allow you to host multiple services of the
same type on a single physical host, thus allowing one IP to host
multiple secure websites(something that has only "somewhat recently"
come out with TLS 1.0(?).