[olug] Fedora 17

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Tue Jul 17 14:19:51 UTC 2012

> Any odd experiences with updating to 17? i finally got around to it...
>
> Sam

I just upgraded five servers from F16 to F17 yesterday; the only thing
that's bitten me thus far is that the output of ifconfig has changed, so
I can't pick off a dynamic IP address in exactly the same way any
longer.  A couple bash scripts had to change, but on everything else, so
far so good.

I know the Fedora site strongly cautions a person to not try to update
via yum, but so far I'm batting a thousand following the instructions
that Fedora nonetheless provides.  Here is the cheat sheet I put
together for myself -- it all comes from the standard Fedora page, but
my cheat sheet puts a couple things together so that not even I can
screw it up.

1) Run "yum update" to make sure F16 is up to date.

2) Run "package-cleanup --leaves" and "package-cleanup --orphans" to
find any leaves / orphans, then remove them with "yum remove".  Do this
iteratively until there's nothing left that you want to get rid of.

3) Run "rpm --import https://fedoraproject.org/static/1ACA3465.txt".

4) Run "yum install dracut".

5) Edit /etc/dracut.conf and add this line:

   hostonly="no"

   This line is probably implicitly in place as the default, but since
the instructions make a big deal about how you can't have
"hostonly=yes", I figured to be explicit.  Also check
/etc/dracut.conf.d/* to see if there are any overridden "hostonly" settings.

6) Run "dracut --force --add convertfs".

7) If your system has a split off /usr, special handling is required.
They talk about what to do at this point at this URL (which is where all
my instructions come from):

   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum

8) Edit /etc/grub*.cfg to remove "ro" and "rhgb" parameters from the
various "linux " lines in the "menuentry" sections.  In the place of
those parameters, add "rw rd.info rd.convertfs enforcing=0".  (You may
want to just comment out the original line and make a duplicate with
these changes, since we're going to want to reinstate the original lines
later.)

9) Reboot.

10) When the system comes up again, confirm that /bin is now a symbolic
link to /usr/bin, /lib is now a symbolic link to /usr/lib, and /sbin is
now a symbolic link to /usr/sbin.  If that all works out, we're almost
certainly past the worst of it.

11) Also run "dmesg | grep dracut" to confirm that dracut seems to have
run to completion.

If we're successful to this point, we have rearranged the file system
per F17's needs.  Now, without delay, actually upgrade the system to F17.

12) Edit /etc/grub*.cfg to undo the changes from step 8.

13) Run these commands, to upgrade to the F17 "rpm" and to clear out the
RPM database:

   rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__*
   rpm --rebuilddb
   yum --releasever=17 update rpm
   rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__*
   rpm --rebuilddb

14) Upgrade the entire system to F17 with this command:

   yum --releasever=17 --disableplugin=presto distro-sync

15) Instruct the system to fix the SELinux file permissions with:

   fixfiles onboot

16) Run this command:

   /sbin/grub2-install BOOTDEVICE

   where BOOTDEVICE is probably /dev/sda or /dev/sdb.  A quick way to
tell is by running "df | grep /boot$" and seeing which partition the
boot device is on.  If the partition is /dev/sda1, you'll want to
replace BOOTDEVICE with /dev/sda (without the number at the end).

17) Run the grub2-install step again.  You don't really need to, but I
have screwed up at this point just often enough, I have grown a healthy
sense of paranoia over it, and will do it more than once just to make
sure my sieve-like brain didn't overlook it.

18) Reboot.

If all goes well, you will now have a bouncing baby F17 system.