[olug] recommondation

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed Jul 4 20:06:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM, adam davis <radamdavis at yahoo.com> wrote:
> But I am wanting to install a server on to the network. Right now they do not have any servers at all.
>
> What I am looking for is any and all suggestions for a Linux flavored server OS.

If you are going to be supporting it, you should go with whatever you
are most comfortable with.

Personally, I'm a big Debian fan.  I have been for years, and it's
what I run at home.  However, if I was going to setup something like
this (for a business or non-profit), I'd be inclined to use either
Ubuntu Server or Red Hat/CentOS (CentOS is a freely available
repackaging of Red Hat Enterprise Linux).  If you have any experience
with either one of those, go with that.  If you don't, my suggest
would lean towards Ubuntu Server, unless you expected a need to run
proprietary third-party applications on it (non-free/open source
stuff).  If you think you'll need that, Red Hat/CentOS still has
better support from third-party software vendors than Ubuntu.

Also, consider what you're planning on doing with it.  If you want it
for local network services (file share, intranet, etc), you should be
fine with either choice and the server you mentioned.  If you're
planning on hosting anything Internet facing on it (public website,
e-mail, etc), you would probably be better off with a hosted Virtual
Private Server (VPS).  There are many options out there (I've used
linode.com for years and been very happy with them).

--
Christopher