[olug] Setting up a MythTV backend system - what's the current recommended way to start?

Adam Haeder adam at adamhaeder.com
Sun Jan 29 05:55:10 UTC 2012

I turned off cable 6 months ago and went with this setup for my mythbackend:

Winegard HD-1080 HDTV High Band VHF Antenna -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DFTGQU/ref=wms_ohs_product
HAUPPAUGE WinTV-HVR-1600 TUNER (PCI) W/REMOTE ATSC/QAM/NTSC - Got it off
ebay for $21

I took out my 2 Hauppauge PVR-150 cards from my myth server and replaced
them with the HVR-1600. I mounted the antenna in my attic, ran the cable to
a powered splitter, ran 2 cables to the 2 tvs in my house that have digital
tuners, and ran 1 into the HVR-1600. Fedora 14 saw the card with no
problems. I had to rerun mythtvsetup to tell mythbackend that I was using a
different kind of capture card, and I had to update my Schedules Direct
subscription to tell it I was no longer using cable, but then it worked
flawlessly. A 1 hour life-action show in 720p takes up about 6.5GB. I
recorded an NFL playoff game and it came in at about 25GB.

I'm excited about the possibilities of the Raspberry Pi as well, but I
understand that one of the reasons it's able to play 1080p files is that
they are encoded at h.264, and it was a chip on the board specifically
designed to decode h.264. How is it going to handle a 720p xvid avi file?
Probably not well I think.