[olug] Boot error updating F14 to F16

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Sun Jan 15 02:46:58 UTC 2012

I tried to upgrade OpenSuSE to 12.1, but the interface was impossible
to work with and adjust to what I needed. I could not figure out how
to open a terminal session, or get to Yast. I realized this is based
in the Gnome 3 installation. I reverted back to 11.4. I may end up
using KDE, but my wife has gotten accustomed to OpenSuSE and the
earler version of Gnome.

Tom

Quoting Kevin <sharpestmarble at gmail.com>:

> What you are seeing is GNOME3. I'm now an XFCE user(as soon as I get
> my laptop reinstalled) and very happy with it. You can find out what
> XFCE packages are available by doing `yum list available | grep xfce`.
>
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 18:29, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:
>>> Is there any place from which I can get the /upgrade/ dir so that I
>>> can continue my upgrade, or is this a lost cause, requiring a fresh
>>> reinstall?  When I said that I'd backed up the important bits of this
>>> system, that meant just /home and /usr/local.  I don't have a backup
>>> of any of the system directories, since this laptop is little more
>>> than a portable terminal.
>>
>> Well, I just bit the bullet and did a fresh install from CD.  I figured
>> it was faster than trying to repair the upgrade, since I had very little
>> system stuff installed.
>>
>> Upon logging in for the first time, I'm appalled at the new window
>> manager (or whatever they call them these days).  how do I get back
>> to something sane that resembles the old Gnome interface from F14?
>> If even I can't figure out how to do anything useful, my kids & wife
>> will certainly never use Linux again.
>>
>> --
>> Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth    obiwan at jedi.com    PrairieRimImages.com
>>   The stuff of earth competes for the allegiance I owe only to the
>>     Giver of all good things, so if I stand, let me stand on the
>>       promise that You will pull me through.  -- Rich Mullins

Tom Williamson