[olug] Boot error updating F14 to F16

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Fri Jan 13 17:49:43 UTC 2012

>> The first time I booted after the "error installing bootloader"
>> dialog, grub gave me the option of my three installed kernels,
>> plus the "upgrade" option, which I chose.  Now, my only option
>> is to upgrade.
>
> ick.

Yeah.

>> Should I try powering off with a fresh power-on?  Or would that
>> cause more harm than good by interrupting something?  I'd like
>> to salvage the current install and upgrade it if possible.
>
> interrupting what?  is it trying to upgrade again?

I don't see anything in progress, but it seemed prudent to check
before I just hit the big red switch.  I'll try cycling the power
tonight.

> OK, based on your description I don't see any known gotchas that apply:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F16_bugs
>
> though, maybe,
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F16_bugs#Upgrade_from_Fedora_14_or_15_to_Fedora_16_with_preupgrade_leaves_bootloader_in_previous_configuration
> may apply here, but, if so, I think we're beyond the point of being able
> to fix that.

My F14 install was fully updated before the upgrade was started,
so I presumably already had the most current preupgrade package.

--
Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth    obiwan at jedi.com    PrairieRimImages.com