[olug] OT: Bandwidth Requirements for VOIP

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 01:09:29 UTC 2012

> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Dave Thacker <dthacker at bluestrain.net
> >wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, December 23, 2012 08:44:59 AM Dave Thacker wrote:
> > > I'm looking at moving my wife's office over to VOIP this year. There
> are
> > > currently 2 lines supporting 4 users.   Fax traffic is less than 20
> > pages a
> > > week in/out.   Talk time can be sometimes be quite lengthy when dealing
> > > with the IRS or clients.   What would you recommend as a good bandwidth

Assuming you have some form of PBX.  If you want to add some VOIP lines to
your existing PBX for cheap, this is a good way to get started.  Hook it up
to ethernet, provision some SIP accounts in its webpage, run some RJ11
silver satin from the box to your existing PBX.  Now you could have 4 users
talking at once.  There is also a 4port FXS device for less than $100.

But yes, long phone calls, can be a problem for VOIP until quirks are
worked out and if you still  have paper to fax, then stick with PSTN.

http://www.amazon.com/Grandstream-GXW-4008-port-VoIP-Gateway/dp/B001I4TQ3O/ref=pd_cp_pc_0