[olug] OT: Bandwidth Requirements for VOIP

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Sun Dec 23 15:36:07 UTC 2012

When you say "VoIP", do you mean you'll be using Vonage, or Asterisk, or
what?  Is there a particular goal you're trying to meet by switching to
VoIP?

The minimum bandwith is pretty much a function of the compression -- a
call can take 10k or 60k, depending.  Also, faxes don't tend to work
that well over VoIP, and certainly not with G.729 compression (the low
bandwidth kind).

And if you're using DSL or cable modem for both VoIP and Internet
traffic, you may experience dips in quality if the VoIP is competing
with downloads.  QoS can help, but it can really only help with the
outbound part of the call; the prioritization of traffic coming down the
pipe is decided by your ISP.

I find that VoIP can be as reliable as regular phone service, but to
really do it right you need a business-grade VoIP product provided by a
carrier like XO, and it will likely involve buying a phone system.
Cheap VoIP over a DSL can work pretty well, for the most part; but if
your business is utterly reliant on your phones, hiccups and problems
caused by cheap VoIP may hurt your business more than you save.