[olug] [OT] Buying Cat5 cable locally...best price?

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Tue Aug 7 21:03:48 UTC 2012

> Exactly. Our company currently installing IPTV over FTTH or VDSL, the
> "copper" install can be a significant challenge. I've got co-workers
> that even insist  the networking run thru separate wall cavities so no
> bleed from any AC lines...., isolated joist and rafter runs too.

I'd keep the low voltage stuff as far as possible from the high voltage.
However, it's not as big a deal with Cat6 as it is with phone or
speaker wire.

The general rule is that high current causes interference, while low
frequency picks up interference.  The longer the two runs are parallel,
the more interference you'll get.

This means that speaker wire needs to be isolated from everything else
because it's both high current and low frequency.  Cat6 running GigE
isn't nearly as susceptible.  Still, it can't hurt to isolate it,
especially if you're making long runs.

> AND, (embarrassing confession follows), don't try getting neat between
> the studs w/ the stapler.... My, oh my, I was so proud of how it
> looked....and I didn't even compromise any of that silly CAT3 wire in
> the process....  can't re-pull anything 17 years later..... :-(
>
> Same goes for the RG-6 I thought would be nice for TV in every room

Yeah, that'll bite you.  Staple it at the top after it exits the wall,
if you must.  Don't ever stable inside a chase.

--
Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth    obiwan at jedi.com    PrairieRimImages.com