[olug] quick informal poll

Sam Flint harmonicnm7h at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 18:39:07 UTC 2012

ok, thanks, i think i'll end up using centos, i use fedora on lmy
laptop, and have worked with centos on a previous server-to-be,
unfortunately it got zapped and died recently, i was going to just
rebuild it but found a barebones for less at newegg

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Christopher Cashell
<topher-olug at zyp.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Sam Flint <harmonicnm7h at gmail.com> wrote:
>> i can't decide if i want to use centos or fedora on a new server, what
>> do you all suggest?
>> and don't visit the site in my sig, it's not setup yet
>
> If you're going to use an RPM based distribution, use CentOS.  CentOS
> is a simple repackaging of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), and
> therefor designed and intended for use as a Server.  Fedora is
> basically a hodge-podge continual beta that Red Hat and the Linux
> community co-maintain, which Red Hat (eventually, after a decent
> number of changes and a lot of cleanup) uses as the base for RHEL.  It
> is not consistent between releases, has a poor upgrade path, limited
> bug and security support for non-current releases, etc.
>
> Fedora is a reasonable choice if you want an RPM based desktop.  I
> would never put it on a server.
>
>> --
>> Sam Flint
>
> --