[olug] Munich's mayor claims ?4m savings from Linux switch

William Haisch whaisch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 03:51:45 UTC 2012

On Mar 31, 2012, at 12:00 PM, olug-request at olug.org wrote:
> Why do organizations STILL use Microsoft again?

Microsoft Windows is a system, Kevin. That system is our enemy. But
when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Boring
spreadsheets, buggy screensavers, stupid pet photos, crappy family
videos. The digital footprint of the people we are trying to save. But
until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that
makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are
not ready to be freed. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly
dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.
Especially managers. Why hire a *nix Admin when you can get two
Windows Admins for the same price? What's the difference? They both
are "server" and know how "eff tee pee" and "aych tee pee pee". Plus,
Open Source only gives away code, whereas vendors can use their war
chest to bribe the deciders with iPads and blowjobs. Eventually the
time will come when the servers fail spectacularly and IT Managers
want someone they can yell at and to whom they can transfer blame.
Even the most inept C-Level officer knows that blame rests with
127.0.0.1 when implementing anything Open Source. The dog face rests
easy at night knowing that they can pick up a phone, dial an 800
number, and yell at some minimum wage slave under a comforting, corn
flour blue corporate banner. Nobody ever got fired for buying product
from an industry leader.

-Wm.