[olug] Weird Internal HDD Question

Kevin D. Snodgrass kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 02:00:38 UTC 2011

>From: Chad Homan <choman at gmail.com>

>What are the odds of an internal HDD being referenced as something other
>than sda in today's world?

As has been stated by others, highly likely.  This is essentially the problem I have been having with a laptop with external HDD enclosure.  The USB drive gets assigned sda, the internal drive getting sdb.  Sometimes...  (And too everyone trying to help, yes, I am well aware of how to mount using UUIDs or other means, that's not the point.  I NEED /dev/sda to be the internal drive. Full stop!  Anything that does not achieve that is useless...)

Now I have a new, and worse problem...  I have multiple tuner cards in 2 tower machines, 2 in each...  With Fedora 15 sometimes card 1 gets /dev/video0, sometimes it is card 2.  Since on one machine they are NOT identical in either purpose or feed, this is a bit of a problem...

Repeatability and consistency be damned, the new kernel design is so much better than the old...

Kevin D. Snodgrass