[olug] Android phone recommendations?

Hurley, Rod RHurley at TENASKA.com
Mon Oct 24 14:14:23 UTC 2011

FINALLY.  A phone with a Kevlar battery cover.  It's about time.

-----Original Message-----
From: olug-bounces at olug.org [mailto:olug-bounces at olug.org] On Behalf Of Craig Wolf
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 8:56 AM
To: olug at olug.org
Subject: Re: [olug] Android phone recommendations?

Funny, I just saw this on infoweek:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/mobility/smart_phones/231901316

Craig Wolf

>>> Jon Larsen 10/24/11 7:05 AM >>>

I was looking forward to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, however, with the absence of a micro-sdhc card slot, I'm a little bummed. I have music and movies that I carry with me, and while the music locker is cool, there isn't anything for movies. For the photographer, it only has a 5MP rear camera. And 4.65" might be a little large.

My next choice is the Droid RAZR. It looks like a solid piece of hardware. 8MP camera rear-camera, micro-sdhc card slot, very thin. It too, will have Ice Cream Sandwich (Android OS 4.0) in early 2012. But, it has a locked boot-loader. Perhaps this will change once Google completes it's acquisition of Motorola Mobility.

All About Android is a good program. Highly recommended.

On 10/23/2011 07:46 PM, webtrekker at cox.net wrote:
> I have the original EVO and have been very pleased with it. I'm not a avid photographer, but the photos I've taken all look good and I get a lot of compliments. It is 18months old now though, which is ancient in phone technology. I am keeping my eye out for what will be available come June when I can upgrade.
>
> ---- Sam Tetherow wrote:
>> I know several people that are very happy with the camera quality on
>> the original evo 4g (not the 3d version)
>>
>> On 10/20/2011 04:50 PM, Obi-Wan wrote:
>>> The wife& I are gonna be getting new Android (Sprint) phones RSN.
>>> Camera quality (actual IQ, not just megapixels) is important for me,
>>> but otherwise we're both pretty basic users. I do love to tinker,
>>> though, and I'm picky about good user interfaces.
>>>
>>> The Motoroloa Photon and the HTC EVO 4G are immediately available
>>> from our source, but we could buy anything we wanted.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations? Anything we should stay away from?

Jon H. Larsen - jon -at- jonlarsen -dot- us Blog - http://jonlarsen.us/ VP of Community Development, Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/ AnimeSunday.org - http://www.animesunday.org/ _______________________________________________
OLUG mailing list
OLUG at olug.org