[olug] Android phone recommendations?

Jon Larsen jon at jonlarsen.us
Mon Oct 24 12:04:27 UTC 2011

I was looking forward to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, however, with the
absence of a micro-sdhc card slot, I'm a little bummed.  I have music
and movies that I carry with me, and while the music locker is cool,
there isn't anything for movies.  For the photographer, it only has a
5MP rear camera.  And 4.65" might be a little large.

My next choice is the Droid RAZR.  It looks like a solid piece of
hardware.  8MP camera rear-camera, micro-sdhc card slot, very thin.  It
too, will have Ice Cream Sandwich (Android OS 4.0) in early 2012.  But,
it has a locked boot-loader.  Perhaps this will change once Google
completes it's acquisition of Motorola Mobility.

All About Android is a good program.  Highly recommended.

On 10/23/2011 07:46 PM, webtrekker at cox.net wrote:
> I have the original EVO and have been very pleased with it. I'm not a avid photographer, but the photos I've taken all look good and I get a lot of compliments.  It is 18months old now though, which is ancient in phone technology. I am keeping my eye out for what will be available come June when I can upgrade.
>
> ---- Sam Tetherow<tetherow at shwisp.net>  wrote:
>> I know several people that are very happy with the camera quality on the
>> original evo 4g (not the 3d version)
>>
>> On 10/20/2011 04:50 PM, Obi-Wan wrote:
>>> The wife&   I are gonna be getting new Android (Sprint) phones RSN.
>>> Camera quality (actual IQ, not just megapixels) is important for me,
>>> but otherwise we're both pretty basic users.  I do love to tinker,
>>> though, and I'm picky about good user interfaces.
>>>
>>> The Motoroloa Photon and the HTC EVO 4G are immediately available
>>> from our source, but we could buy anything we wanted.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations?  Anything we should stay away from?

Jon H. Larsen  - jon -at- jonlarsen -dot- us
Blog - http://jonlarsen.us/
VP of Community Development, Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/
AnimeSunday.org - http://www.animesunday.org/