[olug] Happy Post Memorial Day

George De Bruin sndchaser at gmail.com
Tue May 31 15:09:12 UTC 2011

The most relevant comment comes from Linus himself:

So what are the big changes?

NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. Sure, we have the usual two thirds driver
changes, and a lot of random fixes, but the point is that 3.0
is**just** about renumbering, we are very much **not** doing a KDE-4
or a
Gnome-3 here. No breakage, no special scary new features, nothing at
all like that. We've been doing time-based releases for many years
now, this is in no way about features. If you want an excuse for the
renumbering, you really should look at the time-based one ("20 years")
instead.

You can read the full announcement message here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1147415

George

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:06 AM, T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com>wrote:

> Even though this is a normal incremental release with a new number, I
> do think it is an excuse to drop old cruft. For example there is a lot
> of code for ancient buses.
>
> Sent from my iPhone 5
>
> On May 31, 2011, at 9:25 AM, Chad Homan <choman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Trust everyone had a wonderful memorial day weekend.
> >
> > well in case you have not heard yet, Linux 3.0-rc1 is at our door steps.
> > Don't get too
> > worried about this it's just 2.6.40 rebranded, bug fixes, code cleanup,
> and
> > build
> > script testing.  or at least that's what I got out of it.  Here are the
> > links:
> >

> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/05/30/0237259/Linus-Renames-2640-Kernel-To-Linux-30-Announces-Release-Candidate?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+%28Slashdot%29
> >
> http://www.osnews.com/story/24801/Linux_Kernel_3_0_Announced_to_No_Fan_Fare
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/31/linux_kernel_version_3_0/
> >
> > --
> > Chad, CISSP, Star 500

---
Faster moments spent spread tales of change within the sound...