[olug] smart phones recs / Linux integration

Eric P eric.maillist at gmail.com
Sat May 28 03:40:49 UTC 2011

I'm finally getting around to really wanting a smart phone.

I stopped by Verizon today and saw a ton of Android models I've never heard of.  I'm also open to an iPhone, but I know
there's no official software support for Linux and I get the feeling that Linux iPhone support (from the open source
community) is maybe not all there.  I could be wrong.

Can anyone tell me their experience using an iPhone 4 on Linux?  What can I expect to work and what doesn't work?

And for Android devices is there anything I can't do under Linux that the "lesser" OSes can do?  Anyone have an Android
device that they believe is hands down awesome?

Thanks for any input...
Eric