[olug] C++ compilers

Dan Anderson dan-anderson at cox.net
Sun May 22 02:44:31 UTC 2011

Hi.

I'm not sure completely what you mean when you say, "I want to start playing
with programming".

Is it that you've never programmed before?  Or is it that you have, but you
have a specific project you're about to start?

If you've never programmed before - cross-platform, IMO, probably isn't
actually too important of a characteristic at this point.  Have you
considered JavaScript? Between JavaScript and Node.js - you are pretty
cross-platform.

Otherwise, gcc is probably about the most cross-platform C/C++ compiler I
know of - although - there was "lcc" - the whole point of that was to be
cross-platform...  Not sure of it's status - It's been several years since I
looked at it.

Java is pretty cross-platform too if C/C++ aren't requirements.

Dan