[olug] directnic.com down

jman at miwire.com jman at miwire.com
Fri May 20 18:52:20 UTC 2011

   ...but really, how cheap is cheap or stable if the world comes to an end?

   Let's talk disaster recovery :-)

   Jon Larsen <relayer at levania.org> wrote ..

I recently moved all but one of my domains to hover.com, a division of
tucows.

On Fri, 20 May 2011, George De Bruin wrote:

> Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 13:30:34 -0500
> From: George De Bruin
> To: Omaha Linux User Group
> Subject: Re: [olug] directnic.com down
>
> I've been using namecheap.com for several years now...  works well, and have
> had zero issues with them.  I also have some web hosting with them, and have
> found their support to be excellent (they literally helped migrate a
> database from another domain and hosting service to a new domain on their
> servers about an hour, and have handled several other requests in minutes).
>
> Another friend has been using GKG for several years - he seems quite happy
> with them.
>
> So far it sounds a like a 2-2 for both namecheap and GKG. :)
>
> George
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Obi-Wan  wrote:
>
> > OK, speaking of registrars, what's the cheapest .com registrar out there?
> > I'm going to be rebranding my photography business, and I want to register
> > several variations on the name just to protect the brand and allow for
> > possible future expansion.  I won't be advertising these secondary domains
> > in the foreseeable future, though, so I hate to spend a bunch of money
> > on an uber-reliable registrar.  Just somebody that will forward HTTP
> > requests to a different domain would be sufficient.
> >
> > I've used both Network Solutions (Verisign) and GoDaddy in the past,
> > and have no complaints with the technical performance of either.
> > What's the down side of the cheaper, lesser-known registrars?  Is it
> > just the ease of managing multiple domains?
> >
> > --
> > Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth                             obiwan at jedi.com
> >   The stuff of earth competes for the allegiance I owe only to the
> >     Giver of all good things, so if I stand, let me stand on the
> >       promise that You will pull me through.  -- Rich Mullins

Jon H. Larsen  - relayer -at- levania -dot- org
Blog - http://jonlarsen.us/
VP of Community Development, Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/
AnimeSunday.org - http://www.animesunday.org/
GPG/PGP Pubkey - http://levania.org/relayer/relayerpubkey.txt