[olug] Server config revision control

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed May 18 21:50:49 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Adam Lassek <adam at doubleprime.net> wrote:
> I was aware of etckeeper, but I thought that was dpkg-only. Does it support an RPM distro? Would I be able to install it on RHEL5.6?

The author of etckeeper is a Debian Developer, so there is a bit of a
Debian bias.  However, it works and is available for other
distributions, too.  For RHEL, it's available in EPEL:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/SRPMS/repoview/etckeeper.html

If you're not familiar with EPEL (Extra Packages for Enterprse Linux),
you should definitely check it out, too.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

It's a Fedora sub-project that maintains a selection of tools and
applications (mostly from Fedora) repackaged for RHEL.  They're not
officially supported by Red Hat, but they are incredibly useful.  A
lot of really useful and common stuff that doesn't show up in RHEL (or
just hasn't yet) is available there.  EPEL packages are available via
yum, too (for RHEL4, need to get the yum package from EPEL, first).

--
Christopher