[olug] Android phone backup question

Jon Larsen relayer at levania.org
Fri May 13 21:38:57 UTC 2011

There are advantages and disadvantages.

Titanium requires root privileges.  Astro does not.
Astro doesn't save config settings from the apps.  Titanium Does.

With Titanium, you can backup your phone settings (wallpaper, ringtones,
wifi access points).

The easiest way to go about rooting it would be Z4root.

This comes from our IT Intern Mike at AIM, who owns a rooted Droid X.

Jon L.

On Fri, 13 May 2011, Steve Madel wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 11:33:19 -0500
> From: Steve Madel <sjmadel at gmail.com>
> To: Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
> Subject: [olug] Android phone backup question
>
> I would recommend using either astro file manager or titaniam backup
> to back up your apps.
>
> On Friday, May 13, 2011, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:
> > I've finally entered the smart-phone era and recently got a Droid X.
> >
> > When I activated the phone, I tied it to my "dan at linder.org" account - a
> > Google Apps hosted e-mail domain and things have worked fairly well.  I have
> > been able to install apps via the on-phone Android and Amazon marketplace
> > apps.
> >
> > Unfortunately, using a non "@gmail.com" e-mail address seems to have it's
> > own set of problems.  For instance, when I use my computer to browse to the
> > Android market place it won't let me login with the @linder.org account, and
> > my gmail address isn't associated with a device...
> >
> > From what I read, I need to re-associate my phone with the
> > @gmail.comaddress, but that requires a factory reset.  When I do that,
> > I'll loose my
> > purchased apps... :-(
> >
> > I am going to write the support lines for the purchased apps providers to
> > see if they can move the app, but my main question is this:
> >
> > Is there a way to backup the apps on my droid, then re-install them after
> > I've reset it?  Is the installation "apk" file stored on the phone somewhere
> > that I can use, or is there more to the app installation process?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > --
> > ***************** ************* *********** ******* ***** *** **
> > "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
> >     (Who can watch the watchmen?)
> >     -- from the Satires of Juvenal
> > "I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them."
> >     -- Isaac Asimov (Author)

Jon H. Larsen  - relayer -at- levania -dot- org
Blog - http://jonlarsen.us/
VP of Community Development, Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/
AnimeSunday.org - http://www.animesunday.org/
GPG/PGP Pubkey - http://levania.org/relayer/relayerpubkey.txt