[olug] Moving Mailman lists off-site

Jason N dashrender at cox.net
Fri May 6 19:42:11 UTC 2011

You can run it at home with cox if you buy a business connection for $90/month.  I did this for 5 years, worked great.

---- "T. J. Brumfield" <enderandrew at gmail.com> wrote:
I have a list of Nighthawks Fan Club members. I'm up to 2,800 people. I
tried running that on a paid host, but the host refuses to mail anything
beyond 500. I can't mail directly from Gmail, because they won't let you
send more than 500 messages in a day.

I'm wondering if I should just install a SMTP server on my own, but my
understanding was that Cox blocks those ports to prevent spammers and you
can't run a SMTP server at home with Cox.

Is there a good local solution for running a mailman list of 500+ users?

-- T. J.

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:

> > If you have a couple mailman lists on your mailserver, but wanted to move
> > to google mail handling, how would you use them with Google Apps for
> Domains?
>
> That reminds me...
>
> I'm not interested in switching to gmail, but I've got a handful of
> mailman lists running on my personal box, and I'd like to move them
> off to something outside my home in an effort to return my desktop
> box to more of just a desktop.  These are all low traffic lists with
> no more than 100 members on the largest one.  Most are less than 30
> members.
>
> What's the best/cheapest alternative out there for hosting such a list?
> I want to keep them private; no web archiving or other bling required.
> The ability to allow largish attachments is a plus -- something I don't
> currently allow due to bandwidth limitations.
>
> --
> Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth                             obiwan at jedi.com
>   The stuff of earth competes for the allegiance I owe only to the
>     Giver of all good things, so if I stand, let me stand on the
>       promise that You will pull me through.  -- Rich Mullins

"I'm questioning my education
Rewind and what does it show?
Could be, the truth it becomes you
I'm a seed, wondering why it grows"