[olug] AT&T, Verison blocking tethering app

Benjamin Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 22:17:42 UTC 2011

AFAIK Android OS development goes something like this:

1. Google works on it and make the baseline code available (who gets
access at which stage is questionable).
2. Handset manufacturers add their bits to the code (e.g. HTC SenseUI,
Motoblur, etc.)
3. Carriers add their bits (e.g. bloatware, blocking certain app
installations, etc.)
4. The consumer gets the output of 3. if they're using a "stock" device.

Most custom ROMs are built from 1. above (modified/themed depending on
what the goal of the ROM is) and given directly to the user, typically
removing bloatware and allowing the user to do what they want (root
access, etc.).

I've been running ROMs based on Cyanogen for quite some time now and
have been pleasantly stable with performance well beyond stock (e.g.
overclocking), all while allowing me to do the tethering thing for
free.

Ben