[olug] The Usability of Passwords

Jason N dashrender at cox.net
Wed Mar 30 12:54:40 UTC 2011

While those passwords are nearly impossible to crack, I really like the point the writer made about using multiple words.  Not to mention the fact that they are easier for a person to remember.

---- Dave Thacker <dthacker at bluestrain.net> wrote:
On Tuesday, March 29, 2011 05:50:12 PM Jay Hannah wrote:
> An excellent article:
>
> http://www.baekdal.com/tips/password-security-usability
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay Hannah
> Software Architect
> jhannah at mutationgrid.com | http://mutationgrid.com | 1-402-598-7782

I've been using 'apg' for several years now.   I get pronounceable non-
dictionary passwords.   I can also crank up the complexity.    Here's a run
that  should meet the author's "secure for life" criteria.

> apg -n 10 -m 8 -M SNC
rhels`Oph0
byff<Osk6
7OxcolNod<
Shi,Frerj7
_GrukBam0
(QuiWreox5
igdik2Oc?
3Ont/twiki
0fusDik|
Nig(Knej8

The parameters?
-n give me 10 passwords
-m minimum 8 chars
-M use this mode  S=must use special symbols, N=must use numeral symbols,
C=must use capitals

Enjoy!

DT