[olug] Home file server - FreeNAS or Openfiler or ???

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Tue Mar 29 04:23:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Justin Reiners
<justin.reiners at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have never played with lvm but have read horror stories about it. I could
> never make it work to my advantage plus I can't bare to lose data... I am
> sure others use it and love it.

LVM on Linux is awesome.  As far as I'm concerned, any modern general
purpose (non-embedded) Linux installation should be using it.  The
only partition on any box I install or run that isn't an LVM volume is
/boot.

It can be a little tricky and confusing for people who have never used
it before, and it does add an additional layer of abstraction (and
some would say complexity) to the disk layout, but the increased
features and flexibility make up for any faults a hundred times over.

--
Christopher