[olug] Syncing address

Benjamin Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 21:57:28 UTC 2011

I guess I'm a little confused here.

You said you have: "HTC Touch Pro, It has windows mobile".

Could you elaborate on this a little more?  Google'ing for HTC Touch
Pro seems to indicate an Android-based smart phone, but this conflicts
with your statement: "It has windows mobile".

So the real crux of the problem is: what OS is your device running
currently?  Android or Windows Mobile?

You also said you "converted to a PDA"?  Again, did you load custom
ROMs onto this thing?  Is this phone being used as a phone (e.g. under
contract with a major cell phone service provider) or only as a PDA?

Going on the assumption that this phone is:

1. Still a phone with cell service and
2. Is running Android

Typically when you "activate" these Android phones for the first time,
there is a requirement to have a GMail address.  During the activation
process, you enter your GMail address into the phone thereby pairing
the phone to your GMail account.  After activation, the phone will
sync automatically with your GMail account, pulling in e-mail.  You
can then manage contacts via Google Voice (via a web browser signing
into your GMail account).  Again, your phone's contact list will
automatically pull down and sync to your Google Voice contact over the
air or over WiFi.

As you add more accounts to the phone (e.g. "Corporate" Exchange,
Facebook, etc.), you typically have the option to import/sync those
contacts into your phone's contact list as well.

I'd highly recommend utilizing the Google Voice contacts as it allows
you to merge duplicate contacts into a single source.  For example,
you may have manually entered some contact information for your friend
Bob on the phone.  This automagically shows up in Google Voice.  Next,
you import some Facebook contacts (Bob is your FB friend too).  Now
you'd have duplicate contact info for Bob.  With Google voice, you can
select both entries and merge/combine the information into a single
contact.  I imagine there are methods to import externally managed
contacts (e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) into Google Services like
GMail and Voice.

Ben