[olug] Syncing address

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 16:18:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Kelly Williams
<kellywilliams81 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was given a HTC Touch Pro, It has windows mobile. I have been googling all
> day about what is the best way to sync this phone that I converted in to a
> PDA. What is the best way to sync it with having to go buy office 2007 with
> outlook. I wondering if there is something that is cross platform..

Use your gmail account as the central location to sync things instead
of your desktop.  Phone-sync-to-and-from-gmail  and
DesktopOutlook-to-and-from-gmail.

Phone-sync-to-and-from-gmail:
http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/
Detailed directions on setting up exchange activesync to sync your
gmail account directly with your phone (works over WiFi as well):
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138636

So that gets your HTC to sync over WiFi with Google servers that talk
the exchange protocol.

Now to get your desktop synced up:

Sync your desktop outlook with your gmail account.  Years ago, i used
to use one of the Yahoo sync programs (that were slowly destroyed) to
sync desktop outlook.  Don't know TrueSync and the other sync program
are still available but don't care as i don't use outlook and refuse
to waste any time with any MS office app.  But this guide might get
you started:
http://blog.zerone.weblusa.org/guide/sync-gmail-contacts-and-google-calendar-with-outlook/

Alternatively, setup your own Zimbra server or that other open source
Mail Calendaring Addressbook that i can't remember the name of.

SyncML and related projects on sourceforge provided ways to sync the desktop.

i am surprised you have not put Android on a micro sd card and have it
boot from that.