[olug] Atom systems on PCIE card

jman at miwire.com jman at miwire.com
Fri Jun 10 14:34:22 UTC 2011

   Here is what I start with, although not very accomodating to a reomote
   system computes well.

   http://www.vendio.com/stores/Steven2904/item?lid=13802621&source=Vendio:Goog
   le%20Product%20Search

   Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote ..

How about something like this if it would fit inside your current computer
case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119042&cm_re=atom_ion-
_-56-119-042-_-Product

It's a small Ion based "booksize" system with a RJ45 lan port and a couple
USB ports.  It does use an external power supply to provide 65W at
19V/3.42Amp so I don't think you could connect it directly to the system PS.
  (Though this keeps it on-line even if the server is powered down for some
reason.)

But, use a USB-to-Serial adapter, then connect it to the "mothership" serial
port and I think this would work for you.

If you check, someone may make a small Ion/Atom motherboard and case that
fits in a 5" drive bay and can get power from the computer itself...haven't
looked for one though.

Dan

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 13:59, Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:

> [...]

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    (Who can watch the watchmen?)
    -- from the Satires of Juvenal
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them."
    -- Isaac Asimov (Author)