[olug] Laptop Hard Drive Size / Speed

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 22:59:20 UTC 2011

> I need to do more research, obviously, but it seems like Jeff Atwood
> hasn't had great things to say about SSDs in terms of reliability.
> Any failures of drives with folks here?

If there is a ServerFault link, would love to see it.

In terms of reliability, that depends if the system is mobile or not.

i maintain TabletPCs which are used while walking and otherwise
mobile.  All TabletPCs with spinning platters have a protection
mechanism built-in when there is a dramatic change in Gs.  On many
systems, that stops the system entirely for 30s or so.  It can be
turned off, but then your spinning platters are much more likely to
die.

i am not comfortable using SSD for a critical database until i find
out why fsck prompts so frequently and others have gone before and we
have a big enough db.

i am not an electronics expert, but a static discharge of 20,000 volts
to silicon chips seems like it could cause more damage than the same
discharge to platters.