[olug] Computer Room Fire Suppression

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Wed Jun 1 17:15:48 UTC 2011

If a public entity is closed due to a disaster and there is no loss of
'product' then why not close the public entity permanently and save
everyone some money?

Public sector jobs are just like any other job, they get paid to produce
a product or service, there is just less accountability in a public
sector job apparently.  But any manager/director that has this type of
attitude is guilty of negligence at best and theft from the tax payers
at worst.

This is not a rant against any one person (unless they actually believe
Bill's non-cynical answer).

Every business should have a business continuity plan.  That doesn't
mean that every business can implement that continuity plan, but it
should be in writing, these are the risks, these are the steps that need
to be taken when this happens and these are the things we could do
better if we had the time and the money to implement them.  There are
always places where you make compromises in your disaster plans because
the cost outweighs the risk.  But they should still be documented and
justified.