[olug] Apache alternatives

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 18:58:21 UTC 2011

linode.com is very good and moderately priced.  i have never heard a single
negative review about them but have heard about a dozen positives (from
people i know).

yourdomainhere.com is cheap and mentions actual cpu alotments you'll get.
 i've recently picked up a $5/month vps from them but haven't put it through
it's paces yet.

i've had a webkeepers.com vps for $7/month for about the last 2 years.  i
don't expect much of the vps (just some shoutcast relaying, secondary dns,
and some audio stream transcoding for shoutcast formats)... but it's been
mostly stable all along.

there is ALOT in the world of cheap VPS hosting for < $10 a month as well.

For servers, serverpronto.com can be a pain in the ass to cancel an account,
but for $40 you get an acceptable box with 5TB of bandwidth (puts it at more
than 10mbit unlimited) and free hardware failure replacement.

there are a lot of options out there for a wide range of budgets.

don't assume it'll cost you an arm and a leg.

oh, and just for vanilla website hosting, bluehost is supposed to be real
good.

lowendbox.com lists lots of vps deals and also has some suggestions on
configuring services for low memory situations (such as mysql etc).

for bigger boxes, esecuredata.com is a good place for an $80/month server
with unmetered 100mbit.  think that's for a moderately powered p4 system.
they're in vancouver.

take2hosting.com is on the more expensive side but you get a real beefy box
(quad core / 4-8gb ram / raid etc) with 100mbit downstream and starts out at
10mbit up.  they're also real friendly and offer ssh<>serial console
gateway.  they're in cali.

dmehosting.com is growing and still relatively young... but they've balooned
alot over the last year.  they were also nice people.  it's been some time
so i can't really comment if their reliability these days is any good but
i'd imagine so.

as far as other httpd's -- i've not really looked into them very much.

-unfy