[olug] Apache alternatives

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 18:33:37 UTC 2011

I'm growing tired of poor performance on cheap shared web-hosts, even though
most of the sites I run don't get much traffic. I'm considering moving to a
VPS solution where I'd have full control of a box. But I'd either have to
fork over big bucks, or live with very little memory.

I'm reading up on alternatives to Apache that use less memory and have
better performance.

http://olex.openlogic.com/wazi/2011/apache-alternatives-for-serving-php/

Has anyone on this list experimented with lighttpd, nginx or Cherokee?

Are there existing Suse Studio images, or VMs I can throw down to have a
working stack with one of these alternative web servers and PHP designed for
low-memory VPS solutions?

-- T. J. Brumfield
"I'm questioning my education
Rewind and what does it show?