[olug] OT - Internet

Dan Anderson dan-anderson at cox.net
Fri Jul 1 06:26:02 UTC 2011

I don't know anything about your ISP, your situation or you personally.

That said, I have worked at ISP's that serviced rural areas.

This is not generally a routine action.

Normally this sort of drastic action is reserved for:
1.  Belligerent people (yelling at staff, threatening, etc).
2.  Overly entitled people (I pay for "unlimited" and by damn I'm going to
use unlimited without regard for anyone else).
3.  Habitual ToS violators (particularly those who affect the network
performance or increase service calls/costs).
4.  Non-responsive people (Usually also 1-3 above who won't stop whatever
they are doing after being warned).

If any of those categories could possibly apply in this situation (not
saying that they do) - you might be able to continue service with them on a
probationary basis by sending them a return letter, apologize, commit to
correcting whatever created this issue and ask for continued service. (This
will be much harder to do if you fall into category #1 above - #2 and #3 can
usually be solved with money (switch to higher tier, add additional
services, etc)).

If none of these could possibly apply - you might send them a return letter
asking to meet and discuss the matter further - you may be able to work out
a solution.  If they refuse, you could write the IUB.  Who can't really do
anything for you. But as a telephone provider too - this company has to deal
with the IUB anyway and probably wants to seem like a rational, customer
focused company to their regulators.  If you truly didn't do anything wrong,
and they refuse to meet with you to discuss the matter - they kind of end up
looking bad.

If you have other high speed options - than this might not be worth the
hassle - and just take whatever lesson (if any) you can learn from it and
move on.

Good luck
Dan