[olug] Wiki for non techies...

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed Feb 16 19:13:46 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:
> To that end, I may still lean toward MediaWiki.  To ease my initial foray

Personal opinion:  I hate MediaWiki outside of Wikipedia.

MediaWiki was designed specifically for the needs of Wikipedia and
their Encyclopedia style.  It works great for Wikipedia.  But it makes
some compromises and design decisions that are less than ideal for a
non-Encyclopedia type setup.  I've found it to be a real pain in the
ass for anything outside of Wikipedia.

Especially when compared to other Wikis out there (DokuWiki, Foswiki,
etc), MediaWiki is just not fun to use.  We recently yanked out
MediaWiki and replaced it with DokuWiki as a workgroup Wiki.  Everyone
who uses the Wiki has been happy at the change, and finds it a big
improvement (yay! no more people complaining about the Wiki).

--
Christopher