[olug] gnome lockdown help

Kevin D. Snodgrass kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 18:04:37 UTC 2011

--- On Mon, 2/7/11, Chad Homan <choman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am dealing with an older version of
> Gnome (2.6) I believe.  Looking for a
> way to
> disable or limit browsing in nautilus and file-roller.
>
> This is a Solaris 10 u9 system.  Found some
> documentation pointing to
> "/desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautlius/restrict_viewable_locations"
> and
> "/desktop/gnome/lockdown/nautlius/viewable_locations"
> as a list, but they
> do not appear to be taking effect.

Maybe those are "improvements" in newer versions.

Can this user be restricted via a chroot jail?

Have you looked for any docs on setting up a public kiosk type system?  I would think there would be extensive info on preventing some 3l33t hax0r d00d in the mall from pwning a kiosk...

Can you dump file-roller from this system?  Or make it inaccessible by this user?

Is there a restricted file browser to replace nautilus that will do what you want?

Kevin D. Snodgrass