[olug] More than 2 monitors

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Dec 14 15:38:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 22:54, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T <jeffh at dundeemt.com>wrote:

> ...  The bios recognized the card and
> would offer to let you set on-board, PCI-x or PCI as the primary.   No joy.
>  (I've tried and failed getting the on-board intel chipset to play with
> the nvidia pci-x card too.)

This sounds like the first problem.  On my BIOS has the same option.  When
I flip between the two, the BIOS and initial text boot messages show up on
the primary.  Does this work on your system?  If not, it's probably a
hardware or other issue keeping the new card from being seen.

It could also be that the PCI needs to be primary - possibly a bug in the
hardware.  You'll have to swap monitors around if that bugs you.  :)

> So my question is, does anyone on the list have more than two monitors
> going in a single X server set up?  If so, what are you using and how are
> you doing it?

I'm currently running three monitors off of two cards, both Nvidia:
 * GeForce 9400 GT
 * GeForce 8600 GT

I was running a mixed PCI+PCIx setup, but I finally bought the 9400 so both
are PCIx and use the same NVidia driver.

I've always had good luck with NVidia cards and drivers in Linux - haven't
really tried mixing card brands.  Plus the NVidia configuration GUI works
pretty well so re-arranging displays is more like in Windows (drag-and-drop
where displays are relative to each other).

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"