[olug] streaming media

William Langford unfies at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 19:16:30 UTC 2011

flash media server, wowza, red... reddot ? redstar ? something like
that.  All let ya distribute the a flash video stream to multiple clients.

prices vary.  the ... red... whatever (redmedia ? i don't recall) thing
is open source, but i dunno how far i got with it.  i think wowza has a
10 concurrent viewer free trial demo thing.

all of the above stuff assumes the church has the upstream bandwidth to
handle multiple clients -- or a server on a fat pipe somewhere that can
do it.  Depending on quality of the stream, 250kbit/sec up to 1mbit/sec.

lastly, there *are* flash services out there (things that run flash
media server / wowza for ya... all you gotta do is provide the source
stream).  can't recall costs.

----

ustream, justin.tv, livestream, stickam are several online streaming
choices.  i'm sure there are more.

-will