[olug] Verizon 4G

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Fri Aug 19 14:53:53 UTC 2011

They are far from a monopoly, unless you are wanting to buy copper,
cable or optic to the premise (although optic can be brought in by more
than on provider in some markets).

As far as mobile goes there is Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, US Cellular and
I'm sure a couple others available in most of Nebraska (Viaero, cricket,
etc).

For voice you have your ILEC (Qwest/Windstream/one of the various
independants depending on where you are in the state), there are usually
several CLECs (most of the independants like Nebraska Tel, Great Plains,
Huntel ...) and of course VOIP offerings from the cable company or
several internet options, as well as the mobile carriers.

For TV service you have your municipal franchise (cox/time warner),
Dish, DirecTV, OTA and a growing list of online offerings such as hulu.

For internet you have cable, the phone company, mobile (pricy if you
have any usage), satellite (if you are a masochist or live in the middle
of nowhere) and generally at least one option for fixed wireless.