[olug] Nagios or ?

Adam Haeder adam at adamhaeder.com
Wed Aug 17 14:37:41 UTC 2011

I know it's old, but we've used Big Brother for the last 10 years and
have been happy with it (bb4.org). We're a non-profit, so their
licensing means we can use the free version (they call it BTF or
Better Than Free - http://bb4.org/download.html). It's mostly written
in perl and has a nice web based dashboard interface. It does all the
things you mentioned you need except disabling services from the
dashboard. The server does polling and there are client programs you
install to monitor different client OSes (we use the Linux and Windows
ones). I'm sure their commercial version has a lot more features than
the free version, but I've never used it so I can't speak to it.
Contact me off list if you want a demo of it, I can show you how we've
customized it and what issues we've run into with it.

--
Adam Haeder
adam at adamhaeder.com

Check out my latest book: LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell from
O'Reilly: http://bit.ly/bvQQ0I