[olug] Power Cost comparison on firewall boxes

Aric aric at omahax.com
Mon Aug 8 17:54:26 UTC 2011

He quoted commercial power prices so I assumed that wasn't going in a home.
The gigabit network card is probably pointless in an Atom based firewall
because the CPU isn't powerful enough, nay, smart enough to handle packet
filtering on much more than 100Mb, and less it using IPsec or Snort.

If you are trying to be green and want to conserve electricity get a solar
panel, they are down to about $2 a watt now......
......If you want to use Al Gore logic, one could say that because energy is
never created nor destroyed converting solar energy to electricity instead
of heat helps prevents climate change.