[olug] Power Cost comparison on firewall boxes

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Mon Aug 8 15:40:46 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Kevin <sharpestmarble at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 19:42, Christopher Cashell <topher-olug at zyp.org> wrote:
>> Additionally, if you booted and ran from a USB flash drive, you would
>> remove one of the two primary failure points (and moving parts), in
>> the hard drive (the other being the power supply).
>
> If you go this route, then I would strongly recommend putting the
> flash drive inside the computer; what happens if someone brushes by
> the computer a little too close? I have 2 examples of why it is a bad
> idea to put USB drives in the front of a floor-level computer.

Absolutely.  I was picturing the firewall placed in an out-of-the-way
location where it isn't going to get touched, except for maintenance.

Even so, If I were building the box, I'd probably add an internal
flash adapter, either a 3.5" or 5.25" bay flash reader, or an internal
ATA/SATA to flash adapter.

--
Christopher