[olug] Drive letter assignments

Kevin D. Snodgrass kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 04:42:49 UTC 2011

--- On Sun, 4/10/11, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:
> While I'm on the hard drive topic, it
> drives me crazy that every time
> I reboot my machine that contains five physical drives (one
> PATA, four
> SATA), the sdX drive letters get scrambled.  I label
> every partition,
> so this doesn't affect drive mounting, but it plays havoc
> with my
> MRTG setup because SNMP sorts its entries by drive letter
> (-ish).
>
> Is there any way around this?  I only reboot once
> every few months to
> catch kernel updates, but it's still annoying.

I have the same problem, but with external USB drives.  Really torques me off that a USB drive gets /dev/sda most of the time.

Best I can tell you is to look into udev rules.  Or maybe device-mapper.  Or...

It's all become more "MicroSofty", where the powers that be decide your system will work a certain way and it is very convoluted for you to figure out how to fix their stupidity and make it work The Right Way (TM).

Freakin' mess...

Kevin D. Snodgrass