[olug] [OT] Cell phone carrier questions...

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Apr 8 20:51:54 UTC 2011

I'm getting close to the end of my Sprint contract and I'm looking around a
bit.  (For what it's worth, I live in the Bellevue area.)

I have some questions about peoples experiences with carriers:
 * My wife and I have been thinking about a Verizion Droid phone, but I've
heard that the data caps are kind of tight (5GB) if you use data a lot.

1: When I checked on line last night, I couldn't see the data cap mentioned
anywhere, even in the fine print.  A forum post I found said that the
Verizion data caps only apply to the USB modems, not the phones.  Is that
true?

2: Verizon has a "14 day" (http://www.verizonwireless.com/ReturnPolicy.shtml)
try-before-you-buy policy.  Has anyone actually used this?  Were you able to
get out of a new contract, or is there some micro-fine writing I missed?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"